Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux DAW FX box how to for noobs...New Link...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux DAW FX box how to for noobs...New Link...
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 20:26:27 EEST

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 09:18:21AM -0700, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> On Sunday 12 September 2004 05:24 am, R Parker wrote:
> > Hi Russell,
> The item about Ardour you mention concerns me...primarily because I don't wish
> to violate any of these type of rules / laws/ policies; Is that really
> applicable here? My intent is to describe how I personally used this
> application to create an Effects box...NOt "how one should use Ardour in the
> intended, technically correct manner intended by the Author(s)." But again, I
> do not wish to piss anyone off here...that would be kinda counter
> productive! :) Perhaps Paul can offer his thoughts??

I'm not that familiar with ardour, yet. I do have a project planned that
will require it. I can't think of any other tool that would suit. When I
do get around to working on that, I intend to write up a doc on how I
use it. This discussion triggered the thought that, since Paul doesn't
want people publishing ardour docs, maybe I could contribute it to him.

As I understand it, Paul has been working on Ardour more than full time
for at least the past 4+ years ... *on_his_own_funding*! Along the way
he has made huge contributions to the linux audio code base in the form
of extensive work on jackd, alsa drivers and various libraries. Not to
mention the fact that his participation in the community as a very
experienced and knowledgable programmer increases everyone's knowledge
base.

His own funds are some day going to run out. Part of his long term
business plan is to fund ongoing development by selling the
documentation he is writing. Even though I haven't used ardour, yet, I
have contributed a small sum via paypal just because Paul is such an
important force in this community. I would like to give back more once I
actually start using Ardour. Perhaps one way to do this would be to
write up docs on my use case, not publish it myself, but instead give it
to him to include in his docs as an example to put in the appendix or
something. Maybe you could do the same with your section on your use of
ardour. I'm not sure if Paul would accept it, but it can't hurt to offer
it to him.

I've tried to offer Kai some cash in the past, but his situation is
different. He develops ecasound in his spare time and is otherwise
employed in the computer industry. Last time I asked he specifically
_did_not_ want monetary contributions towards ecasound development.
Instead I tried to help out a little by providing some grammatical and
spelling editing on some of the ecasound docs. (English isn't Kai's
native language ... not that everyone who is a native speaker writes in
English better than Kai. ;) Kai's posts usually contain better spelling
and grammar than those of swh for instance. :-D )

Anyway, the point is that your attitude of trying to offer something
back to the community is a good one. We users who are willing to do this
just have to find the ways of helping that fit the needs of the
developers and other users.

You've inspired me to get my butt back in gear and do more to help than
I have been.

> The "effects box" idea is a greater attractant IMHO because there are a great
> many musco's that have had some time messing on a PC in some form or
> other...but unless they had the big bux...the performance was not that great.
> They probably did not persist too much...
> Someone around here had made the statement that "Turn that old 486 into a
> reverb 'cause it aint good for nothin else!"...this is a valid concept in
> Linux...AND doable on a 486! It is beyond capabilty and sense of reason in
> Winblows! Can't even run XP or 2000 on 486 much less DAW software that uses
> RT DSP. If they learn how to do the fx thing, the recording / messing /
> experimenting thing will come naturally and they will have the hard work
> done.

On this note, I have 25Mhz 486 w/12MB of RAM that has served as my
firewall/router for 4.5 years. It's soon to be replaced by a shinier,
newer, faster classic pentium 200MHz w/64MB of RAM. Last night I was
thinking of how to keep it useful. I came up with the idea of writing
some script that generates some kind of audio in realtime continuously
to be streamed over the net. I'm thinking of trying to get it to boot
over the network from an image on my file server and run in ram ... or
maybe an NFS or other share.

This should probably go in another thread, but does anyone know what to
shoot for? How much realtime dsp can a box like this reasonably handle?
Could it run hermes from a python ECI script with ecasound controllers
controlling the parameters?

Anyway, this is an interesting thread. Thanks everyone.

-Eric Rz.