Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux DAW FX box how to for noobs...New Link...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux DAW FX box how to for noobs...New Link...
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 03:33:24 EEST

Last Tuesday 14 September 2004 14:30, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki was like:
> I'm not sure that it is really true that ecasound's textual syntax is
> less intuitive than a complex GUI like ardour's. Of course we all have
> different minds that all work differently. But, I think the dominance of
> GUI-ness mouse-clickiness in the commercial software world of
> xerox-apple-microsoft and the free software world of gnome-kde is at
> least in part a false supremacy. Though it may be the way the majority
> of computer users have been shepherded into thinking of what it is to
> interact with a computer, I don't think that is necessarily because the
> GUI+mouse paradigm is the best or even the most natural. At least not
> for everyone.

Equally I have a lot of love and respect for ecasound and it's not often you
say that about an application. We do all have different minds. When I'm
working on my geeky own, ecasound can be good. However, I find that once I'm
working with the pressure of other people, it's point-and-clicksville for me.

My remarks should be taken in the context of having just decided to actually
look at Ardour, after deliberately avoiding it for the last year or so, and
discovering that it's a wicked application. I'm not dissing any other
software, let's face it, given a C handbook and a text editor, I can make a
glorified 'Hello World' and that's about it.

More power to the collective coding arm!
(now there's a visualisation for you)

cheers

tim hall