Re: [OT] digi 002, was Re: [linux-audio-user] Plugzilla LADSPA support

Subject: Re: [OT] digi 002, was Re: [linux-audio-user] Plugzilla LADSPA support
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 23:36:51 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:24:11AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>What's happened in the last few days (for me) is the realization that I
>>could actually move tracking and mixing to Ardour one of these days and
>>my Pro Tools investment wouldn't be wasted at all. In fact I'll bet that
>>VST's running under Win XP Pro/Pro Tools are better supported and more
>>stable than they will ever be on Plugzilla, but even if they reach
>>parity then the 002 Rack (at $1700 I think) is a nice price point for
>>mic preamps, lots of reasonable converters and a platform for native
>>processing plugins.
>

> Hm... do you already have one?

Yes! Sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm a very happy Pro Tools user in most
ways, but Digi puts real limitations on what you can do with their PTLE
systems, be you a windows or Mac user. They limit you in track count,
access to certain plugins, number of units hooked up, all in an attempt
to keep their high-end pro equipment as a place PTLE users aspire to get
to. My thought 2 years ago was to dump the old 001 system I had, but
unfortunately Ardour wasn't ready to play at that level at that time so
I went with the upgrade to the 002. Things are changing though. Ardour's
much better. Hardware support is somewhat better. That said, what do I
do with my 1 year old 002? Sell it? Possibly, but that foresakes a large
investment in plugins, as well as kills all my old Pro Tools work. So
instead I think...

...turn the 002 into a fancy, programmable outboard sound processor.

> It actually seems a bit high priced to me.
> If it's only going to be used for a windows box you could
> get one of these for less than half the price ...
> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire1814-main.html
> Or get a Delta 1010 which has equivalent analog I/O, again for a lot
> less, and then get and your choice of external preamps.
> (RNP anyone? http://www.fmraudio.com/ )

None of those options come with Pro Tools though, so you'd need to add
the cost of Nuendo or Cubase SX to those to begin to get close.

RNC is a wonderful unit. RNP I haven't had the pleasure to meet yet but
if it's at all like it's older brother then you couldn't go wrong.

> If the digi has the same preamps as the Control 24, a studio-owning
> friend of mine says they're pretty cruddy. I haven't used them
> myself.

No - the 002 preamps and converters are much better than the older
Control 24 stuff. I've used them both.

>>Granted you need a PC on top of the $1700, so there
>>is additional money, but you're also not stuck with a specific amount of
>>processing power like you would be in the Plugzilla.
>

> True.
>

>>;-) Crucify me! Please! ;-)
>

> Not my intention at all! Just pointing out that plugzilla vs. the digi 02
> is really apples and oranges. I think your plan is completely reasonable.

No, I know. I was jsut joking too.