Re: [linux-audio-user] same kernel and big differences between mandrake and debian?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] same kernel and big differences between mandrake and debian?
From: Austin (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 20:39:48 EEST

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 13:10 +0200, rico wrote:
> How comes there is such a difference between two system that uses the same
> kernel and config?
> Where should i look since the kernel and modules are the same (are they?)?

By using the "stock" kernel, so you mean you compiled it from vanilla,
or do you mean the standard kernel included with each distro.

If the latter, I assure you that the Mandrakelinux and Debian kernels
will be VERY different. We have a few hundred patches in our kernel.

If you're compiling from vanilla, there shouldn't be such a defference.
Maybe different alsa or glibc version?

Keep in mind that Mandrakelinux is i586 optimized, except glibc which is
i686 optimized. Debian is only i386 AFAIK.

Austin