Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Jack Audio Connection Kit 0.98.16 Release

Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Jack Audio Connection Kit 0.98.16 Release
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 03:23:30 EEST

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org> writes:

> I'm familiar with using jackd + clients such as ecsound, alsaplayer,
> (soon) ices, etc, etc. But, I can't think of anything that runs as a
> jack plugin. Are there any implemented? Are there some plugins that run
> in certain jack configurations without me being explicitly aware of
> them?

There are example-clients: inprocess.c and intime.c.

I don't know of any separate client packages using the internal client
interfaces. I wonder about binary compatibility issues when they are
compiled separately from the version of jackd in which they execute.
Since libjack is used as an intermediary either way, it should work.
But, I don't think there's enough collective experience yet to
consider the concept "proven".

And, as a practical matter, the external client interface is an
enormous convenience for developing and debugging JACK applications,
well worth the considerable context switch cost incurred.

--
  joq