Re: [linux-audio-user] Just bought a Delta 1010LT, now what..?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Just bought a Delta 1010LT, now what..?
From: Glenn McCord (clari_player_AT_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 05:47:50 EEST

> <>
> Have no fear...you can do all that and MUCH more. I had the same
> transitional
> plan you did...and I'm VERY happy withj my 1010LT.
>

> I use a distro that has rpms and alsa is built into the kernel so I'm not
> sure. It looks to me like oyur starting from scratch with alsa...
>
> Also, at the bottom of that alsa page there's some .asoundrc
> examples...the
> one for the "hoontech" works well. It shows 10 ins and 12 outs which
> is odd
> but it does give you your multi channel functionality.

Okay, so I've done all that and the card can record and playback with
ardour and jack. However xmms is packing a sad. It comes up with that
all to familiar dialog box saying taht I should check if the correct
output is selected, that no program is blocking the soundcard, or that
the soundcard is configured properly. If I change the output to OSS
instead of ALSA, it works but I'm sure I should be able to get that
thing working with alsa.

To make matters worse, a small tragedy is unfolding on my Linux box.
Once upon a time with my SB Live! I could have hundreds of programs
running, playing, doing whatever and I would never ever get a single
xrun. I don't know what I have done lately, whether it was from
upgrading to xorg or having two soundcards in one machine but now I get
xruns all over the show. Jack doesn't cut ardour out anymore but there
is all the clipping and popping in the recording.

I have spent countless hours getting xruns to go away. To have them
mysteriously show up again is such a <enter really violent expletive
here>. I even went from xorg 6.8 to 6.7 to xfree86 just to see if that
got rid of them. I went back to the SB Live! and they were still there.
I have 1GB free and no other settings bar the ones mentioned in this
thread have changed and now I may as well count 3 days of my life gone
when I get around to fixing it again. <sigh>

Anyhow, would having two cards in the machine be screwing things up? Has
anyone got some advice to get xmms to use alsa?

I'm a gentooer by the way. There aint too much stuff about 1010LTs on
the forums.

Cheers,
Glenn