[linux-audio-user] choosing the right sound system

Subject: [linux-audio-user] choosing the right sound system
From: Miernik (miernik_AT_ctnet.pl)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 17:09:48 EEST

There are so many sound dameons/systems/drivers that I don't know which
combination to choose. I need some advice. Here is my setup:

I have machine tarnica which is a router mainly, no monitor, no
keyboard, but it has (my only) speakers. And I have machine szrenica
(my laptop) where I run a jabber client, and I want it to notify me
about messages through the speakers connected to tarnica.

And on machine tarnica I have a radio card, and I want to record a
regular radio program through it's soundcard with cron (I mean something
started with cron). And sometimes like to play ogg files through
tarnica speakers.

What would be best set of daemons/apps/whatever to make all this work
without coliding with each other and without the need to kill something
to record from the radio and to be able to get jabber sound
notifications no matter what else I do with the soundcard (without using
killall).

--
Miernik             _________________________  xmpp:miernik_AT_amessage.info
___________________/__ tel: +48888299997 __/      mailto:miernik_AT_ctnet.pl