Re: [linux-audio-user] FC2 2.6.x kernel questions [OT?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] FC2 2.6.x kernel questions [OT?]
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 02:06:41 EEST

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 12:50, Barton Bosch wrote:
> This may be semi-OT for this list but it does relate somewhat in
> regards to burning CDs and eventually using the 2.6 kernels for low
> latency audio, etc.
>
> My production distro is a Planet CCRMA RH 9 installation. I also
> have an installation of FC2 that I use for graphics and will
> eventually be migrating to. For me, using FC2 and the 2.6 kernels
> is edgy enough -- I don't have enough knowledge and experience to be
> much use as a beta tester.
>
> With those caveats in mind, is there a particular 2.6 kernel that
> would be better than either 1) the kernel that was shipped with my
> FC2 disks, or 2) the most recently released kernel (2.6.8-1.521)?

I have released a couple of "experimental" 2.6.8+ kernels that include
the voluntary preemption patches by Ingo Molnar. They are getting better
all the time. You could try them in your FC2 box by following the
instructions here (if you have already installed Planet CCRMA in your
FC2 box, of course):

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2004-August/005879.html

> Where can I find more info about the various kernels and other
> updates as they are released?

Kernels specific for Planet CCRMA are announced in its mailing list. I
guess the place for generic announcements would be the linux kernel
mailing list.

> Does anyone have any advice as to an
> FC2 update strategy other than running `# yum update` every week
> or so?

For Planet CCRMA that would be apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade. I
have yum support in my list of things to do but have not had time to
implement it yet.

-- Fernnado