Re: [linux-audio-user] Is everyone sick of interrupts yet?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Is everyone sick of interrupts yet?
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 09:42:17 EEST

On Monday 27 September 2004 10:59 pm, brad stafford wrote:
> I just tonight switched from the Planet CCRMA RH9 to FC1. The install
> was purely from the CDROMs dated 4/25/2004.
>
> I've seen all the latest posts about interrupts and did the required
> reading on the internet. I really managed to get RH9 cleaned up but in
> FC1 I'm seeing something a little different. I have a Delta 1010 and I'm
> running an AMD Barton 2.6 with 5 PCI slots. The question is what the
> heck are IRQ 16 and 22? I moved the sound and ethernet cards around to
> get them to 16 and 22 as they used to be eth0 on 21 and ICE1712 on 22. I
> have ACPI turned off as a service but don't have a "disable" option in
> the BIOS. I did turn off USB support in the BIOS.
>
> Is 16 like the equivalent of IRQ 3 since it's following 15?
>
> [brad_AT_mars brad]$ cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 81690 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 75 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> 9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
> 12: 836 IO-APIC-edge PS/2 Mouse
> 14: 10789 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 15: 735 IO-APIC-edge ide1
> 16: 0 IO-APIC-level ICE1712
> 22: 21 IO-APIC-level eth0
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 81633
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0
>
> I'm getting 5.8 msec latency in JACK with 128 frames/period at 44100 and
> 2 periods/buffer. A huge improvement over the 46.1 msec using RH9 with
> capabilities.
>
> Thanks, Brad.

To semi paraphrase something I think Mr. Knecht conveyed nicely earlier, and I
also believe with much merit...and in my own short but sweet format...

Unless your box has plumes of dark grey smoke billowing from it because of the
Xruns overload {Well, Athalon does run hot....it could happen} or...

The sound is so choppy, it sounds like an extratarestrial life form is trying
to contact you or...

you just ~can't~ sleep at night bareing the thought of a single Xrun passing
b4 your eyes...

And assuming your sound is clean and glitchless...I gotta say...If you are
getting 5.8 msec @ 128x2 with clean sound and a stable, happy jack...other
than those pesky lil' "0 (0)" buggers in the Qjackctl window turnng red on
you...Just BACK AWAY FROM THE INTERRUPTS MR.!!!....Put those pci cards down
nice and slow and get them hands up where we can see 'em! Put the cover BACK
on the machine and record 3 verses of "Don't worry, Be happy"!

I am also using a Delta 1010LT on an Athalon Barton chip with a tad less than
1gig DDR 2700 ram. I screwed with it endlessly seeking that "super setup"
you know...the setup so clean the bugger will compose, record and mix the
music all by itself...And I wasted LOTS of damn time I could have spent doing
what WE ACTUALLY are meant to do this for...CREATE MUZIC! :)

I run the 2.6 kernel with Realtime-lsm as my only real latency improvement
patch {and whatever other bits 'n' pieces Thac's sticks in his kernels} I
have been recording in Ardour at 256x2. If the dang Xruns start to give me
the urge to break a perfectly good working DAW, I put the SOB in "soft
mode"! :) No mo' Xruns! And the recording, even running plugins whilst
recording, is perfectly acceptable.

The point I'm trying to make is...apply some attention to tweaking your box
but not to the point of distraction. If it's working well, I don't care if my
soundcard is on INT 204! {eh hem} :)

Happy recording and music making!!

R~

--
The Road of Life is paved with Squirrels that couldn't make a decision!