Re: [linux-audio-user] Is everyone sick of interrupts yet?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Is everyone sick of interrupts yet?
From: Rick B (zajelo3_AT_cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 04:16:50 EEST

brad stafford wrote:

>I just tonight switched from the Planet CCRMA RH9 to FC1. The install
>was purely from the CDROMs dated 4/25/2004.
>
>I've seen all the latest posts about interrupts and did the required
>reading on the internet. I really managed to get RH9 cleaned up but in
>FC1 I'm seeing something a little different. I have a Delta 1010 and I'm
>running an AMD Barton 2.6 with 5 PCI slots. The question is what the
>heck are IRQ 16 and 22? I moved the sound and ethernet cards around to
>get them to 16 and 22 as they used to be eth0 on 21 and ICE1712 on 22. I
>have ACPI turned off as a service but don't have a "disable" option in
>the BIOS. I did turn off USB support in the BIOS.
>
>Is 16 like the equivalent of IRQ 3 since it's following 15?
>
>[brad_AT_mars brad]$ cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 81690 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 75 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> 9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
> 12: 836 IO-APIC-edge PS/2 Mouse
> 14: 10789 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 15: 735 IO-APIC-edge ide1
> 16: 0 IO-APIC-level ICE1712
> 22: 21 IO-APIC-level eth0
>NMI: 0
>LOC: 81633
>ERR: 0
>MIS: 0
>
>I'm getting 5.8 msec latency in JACK with 128 frames/period at 44100 and
>2 periods/buffer. A huge improvement over the 46.1 msec using RH9 with
>capabilities.
>
>Thanks, Brad.

    You can add the "acpi=off" option to the kernel argument boot line
in grub.conf like so:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi
acpi=off nolapic rhgb

That will get rid of interrupts 16 and 22 and move your soundcard and
ethernet card to *maybe* a more desirable position like IRQ 10 & 11. But
after reading the other posts in this thread I question if it really
makes any difference.

                    Rick B