Re: [linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 00:25:15 EEST

Greg Reddin wrote:
> I've brought up discussions like this before, but it's been a while
> and I'm finding myself at a point of decision again. So please bear
> with me. I'd like some advice on what my next step is.
>
> Basically, here's my problem. I love the Linux audio world, but I am
> an artist and I really need something that will facilitate making
> music. So I'm faced with the following options:
>
> 1. Use Ardour and participate in its development.
> 2. Use Audacity and participate in its development.
> 3. Use something else and participate in its development.
> 4. Roll my own.
> 5. Buy a mac and use Digital Performer or something else.

Hi,
    Of your options, and assuming I understand a complex subject from
your specific point of view, I'd probably suggest you still go with
Ardour. They have a team of top notch developers. You'll have a hard
time doing all of that yourself or attracting people to build a team
unless you have a significantly different idea of what to develop.
(Ableton for Linux, etc...) The program does (sort of, mostly, most of
the time, with the right hardware) work in the commercial sense. All the
pieces for doing audio are there, if you can learn them and you're
comfortable with their model. You don't mention MIDI. Guess you don't
need it, but you get it with the Mac/Windows alternatives. Just a bullet
item.

    I think all of the big LA programs (Ardour, RG, Muse) suffer from
the no official release syndrome. I don't understand it either, other
than the idea that it take 10% of the effort to go 90% of the distance,
and then 90% of the effort to go the last 10%. Don't underestimate how
hard that is, and it won't be any different if you roll your own. You'll
be 90% of the way there in 3 months and then 2 years from now you'll be
wondering where all the time went, along with the girl that used to hang
with you.

    However, all that said, if you wanted to make music, and if you
value your time, then it's still far cheaper to buy some hardware, buy a
Mac or a PC, buy OS X or Win XP, buy DP or Pro Tools or Ableton Live or
Acid Pro or Sonar or Nuendo, and just make music. $2K-$5K and you get a
production ready system. It's not that expensive in the end. Roll your
own and it will be a year before you start to really have something
that's usable. Maybe longer.

    Those are just my thoughts. Not even worth the paper they aren't
written on.

cheers,
Mark