RE: [linux-audio-user] Starts with a pop

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Starts with a pop
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 23:42:33 EEST

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 08:53, Reuben Martin wrote:

> pop
> >>
> >> I didn't think about that. I'll have to check and see if the 1010lt
> >> has a default sample rate. The bad news is, if you are right, then
> >> driver modifications won't fix the problem.
> >
> >Not necessarily. The driver can mute the output, change the card
> setting, and unmute it again.
>
> I don't think muting the output will change anything if this is truly
> the source of the problem. This a matter of changing the digital signal,
> and nothing to do with the audio that is within the digital signal.
>
> -Reuben

I think it can be managed. If the driver ensured it was running
'silence' through the audio stream at the time it muted and changed the
frequency, and then silence for a bit while the new frequency got
stabilitied at the other end, then things would likely be very good.
After all, the RME Windows hdspconf program can change the frequency
back and forth with no problems, but the Linux equivalent, at least when
tied to my AI-3 12 months ago, could not....