[linux-audio-user] Drumming [was: metronome-free MIDI recording]

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Drumming [was: metronome-free MIDI recording]
From: Brett W. McCoy (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 00:06:45 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:

>> Trying to emulate someone like Bruford with a drum machine is going to
>> be next to impossible. Hell, trying to emulate his style with a human
>> is next to impossible!
>
> That's why you and I love him, right? ;-)
>
> As I said, I was just studying his technique. He's amazing.

Yeah... it's funny, I'm not a kit drummer at all (I have some training
in Middle Eastern percussion only), being primarily a guitarist, but I
am finding myself more and more listening to the drums in music to
better my own electronic drum programming.

For bands like Yes, King Crimson & Rush, the drum parts are very
composed and do more than 'just keep the beat'. Bruford and Peart are
all over the place... to emulate that kind of playing with a drum
machine or software, you damn near have to have a different drum pattern
for every measure!

Suprisingly, for Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, his individual beats
aren't very complex, its just that the tempo and key signature change a
lot that make seem it complex.

> As for the humanizing issue, if you are going to use that then you'd
> better record the drum audio early as it won't humanize the same way
> twice and then things get very dodgy. That said I hear good things about
> Hydrogen, but I got started with Reaktor's drum machines too early to
> want to give up on them now.

I've not tried Reaktor. I've just started playing with Hydrogen, and am
very impressed with it -- before I was either using a hardware drum
machine or using MIDI (via Finale, Cakewalk, Rosegarden, etc). I've
written several tracks now using Hydrogen. There are some things it
*doesn't* do yet that I need, so I will either wait until Comix
implements it, or just bite the bullet and hack the code to make it do
what I want and see if Comix will take my patches :-)

--
Rule of Feline Frustration:
         When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly