Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] [Fwd: Re: Linux audio latency]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] [Fwd: Re: Linux audio latency]
From: Sampo Savolainen (v2_AT_iki.fi)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 12:55:18 EEST

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 08:25, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> Starting a new jack client in itself won't produce xruns. Also, cleanly
> shutting down a jack client will not in itself produce xruns [iirc]. But
> it seems that many, if not most, jack apps, get some part of the RT
> operation stuff not right. Especially start up and shutdown.

Actually, that's not entirely correct. I've been talking to Paul about
this. The xruns created by exiting clients is due to jackd having to
rework it's internals. When doing this reordering, jackd has to lock the
data it's modifying and sometimes (very often) there will be an xrun
because the audio thread is waiting for the lock to be released.

In short. It's not the clients fault, it's jacks' fault.

 Sampo