Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns - FC2/Planet(custom) vs. Gentoo(custom)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns - FC2/Planet(custom) vs. Gentoo(custom)
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 23:32:56 EEST

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:04:08 -0500, Reuben Martin <martinr_AT_jbu.edu> wrote:

> >It would be funny to end up running Gentoo but *having* to build my
> >kernels on a Fedora box! ;-)
> >
> >- Mark
>
> I've done quite well using jack with the default gentoo-dev-sources. An hour long ardour session recording 16 tracks at once onto one harddrive on an AthlonXP 2100 box using the kde desktop without any xruns can't be too bad. :)
>
> Part of your problem may not have so much to do with software as with hardware. The two boxes you describe sound quite different. Even though the laptop has a much faster processor, if it has poorly supported hardware it can cause all sorts of problems relating to xruns.
>
> good luck.
> -Reuben

Sorry Reuben but I think I must not have made it clear enough. I'm
only talkign about one machine. The machine boots both FC2 and Gentoo.
FC2 works great (yea!!!) while Gentoo doesn't. (boo!!)

I do fine on this machine using gentoo-dev-sources, but not with low
latency. I used to blame it on the sound chip that I have to run Jack
at 1024/2 under Gentoo. However, since I Can now run Jack at 64/2
under FC2 with my new, custom kernel I can no longer blame it on the
sound chip. Both boots (FC2 & Gentoo) are using exactly the same
kernel source. Alsa is built into the kernel so they are using the
same Alsa drive code.

It really is something to do with the way I build it under Gentoo I think...

thanks,
Mark