Re: [linux-audio-user] ncurses-based MIDI step sequencer a la muse (matrix mode)?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ncurses-based MIDI step sequencer a la muse (matrix mode)?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 03:22:02 EEST

Greetings:

  The "sequencer" aspect of TiMidity refers to its ability to function
as an ALSA sequencer client. I sometimes think that the choice of the
term "sequencer" is misleading to those of us who understand a sequencer
as a MIDI recorder. That is *not* what the ALSA sequencer interface is,
it's really more of a "subscriber" that allows and manages multiple
connections between the clients who "subscribe" to the API (bad
description, I know, but it's all I can come up with right now).

  TiMidity does read MIDI files, of course, and it can also be compiled
to function as an ALSA sequencer client. Hence the confusion regarding
its capabilities...

  Btw, Emilio mentioned Sted2, a rather interesting MIDI sequencing
environment with an ncurses interface, but if licensing and source
availability is not an issue there's also the now-freeware Sequencer
Plus Gold from Voyetra. DOSemu handles it (and the Voyetra drivers)
beautifully. I'd like to see if DOSemu will work as well with the DOS
version of Cakewalk, but I don't own a copy and can't find it anywhere.
Both SPG and Cakewalk use ANSI graphics for their interfaces, so I can
use SPG from either the console or from an xterm.

Best regards,

dp