Re: [linux-audio-user] ncurses-based MIDI step sequencer a la muse (matrix mode)?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ncurses-based MIDI step sequencer a la muse (matrix mode)?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 15:14:06 EEST

Christian Henz wrote:

>I think a huge point was (and is, for modern consoles) the fixed hardware.
>You can (or even have to) write your code 'straight to the metal' and optimize
>it to take full advantage of every aspect of the hardware while never worrying
>about different CPUs, graphic chips etc.
>
>Plus, with the absence of an OS and multitasking you can give guarantees
>about the timing of your code, up to a single clock cycle. And that is per
>definition RT capability.

Well put, Christian. Indeed, even MS-DOS MIDI software ran with great
timiing precision, thanks to the total ownership of resources enjoyed by
the running program.

I'm curious: how good was the timing on an Amiga, which did have
multitasking in a very tight space ? I've only used Amiga software under
emulation, I have no experience with an Amiga machine.

>The result has of course little to do with today's general purpose computers
>and operating systems.

Something's gained, something's lost... ;)

Best regards,

dp