Re: [linux-audio-user] Fostex MR-8

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Fostex MR-8
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 06:39:44 EEST

(http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/mr8.shtml)
> Does anybody have experience with it under Linux?
>

> Esp:
> - the use of the USB with Linux (is it a normal mass
> storage device?)
> - is it possible to update the firmware from within
> Linux? (otherwise I'll
> have to have the shop do it for me)
> - is the contents of the flashcards usable when read
> with a card reader?

One of my clients had one of these or something
similar. It would be my last choice for an investment.
It can only do two record enabled tracks at a time. If
you're playing in a band and want to mix drums forget
it.

A froogle.com search shows them for $300.00. How much
do the flash cards cost? "Recording time in NORMAL
MODE (16bit/44.1kHz) is approx. 25 track-minutes on
the supplied 128MB CF card..." Yikes! That's really,
really limiting.

Have you looked on ebay for something like a Yamaha
AW4416? I'm sure an AW4416 would cost more but the
functionality and storage capability is far superior.

Here's an AW4416 on Ebay ($740.00 about a day left on
the auction):
This unit is in imaculat condition, has been fully
expanded and is supplied with the following –
Yamaha AW4416 Tutorial. Operation and Reference Guides
Yamaha AW4416 Service manual
Yamaha MY8-AD Optional 8 analogue inputs (X2)
Yamaha Internal SCSI CRW 16x10x40 (faster than
original factory spec)
Yamaha ADP25H Card with second 20 gig Hard Drive
Yamaha FC5 Switch Pedal
Custom Made Padded Gig Bag
Customer Made Dust cover
Serial Mouse
I’ll even throw in an 8 channel Multi core to connect
your audio devices to the AW!

I think you'd be much happier with something like
that.

ron