Re: [linux-audio-user] error report 2.6.9-rc4-mm1-VP-T4

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] error report 2.6.9-rc4-mm1-VP-T4
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 04:25:57 EEST

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 14:03, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > > LAD *maybe*, but LAU?
> >
> > Hehe, maybe even just to provide a testbed to increase the development
> > speed of something really usable for a LAU member :)
> >
> > flo
> >

> Sure, as long as that LAU member doesn't break his whole machine and
> have to start over from scratch. I guess I'm not that willing to be
> quite that much a leading edge Guinea Pig... ;-)

This actually brings up an interesting point. The new kernel
development model states that the kernel developers are going focus on
adding features and improving performance, and that final stabilization
will be more of a job for the the distros.

Anyway, the way that -mm works is that since all of the patches are
available broken out, you can apply them individually against the
standard kernel. Ingo has been pushing more and more VP features to
-mm. So, to answer the question of when we can expect a patch against
the mainline kernel again, I would say that once all of the VP patch is
in -mm, you could just apply the broken out patches, and not have to
test every single experimental kernel feature on your audio machine ;-)

I would give it a month or so.

Lee