[linux-audio-user] Stereo effect question

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Stereo effect question
From: Mark Wilson (mrmoo1231_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 03:19:15 EEST

Another noob audio effect question:
What tools (software) and techniques are used to
accomplish the effect of a source of sound appearing
to move gradually from one speaker to another? I'm
not talking about mere channel swapping, but rather
something like the final auditory illusion suggesting
gradual movement, e.g. a horse galloping by, or a
train with its whistle being 'dopplerized'.

Is this probably way over my head? Or something
easily accomplished once I get a nudge in the right
direction? My soundcard (SB PCI 16) is actually quite
limited, but I should think that, given the right
software and data input, the computer should calculate
how to simulate the effect, even if my consumer-grade
sound card could only render the effect with limited
fidelity. (An analogy might be a great quality video
clip on a crappy monitor?)

I'm not that concerned with real-time
performance--couldn't care less if it takes 5 minutes
to process a 5-second effect, as long as I know where
in the workflow to try to add the new task. ;-)

Thanks again for any thoughts on the matter,
Mark

=====

--
Seek professional help!  Ask a librarian.