Re: solved? Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] recording levels (mismatch)

Subject: Re: solved? Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] recording levels (mismatch)
From: anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 19:11:50 EEST

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 08:19:36AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:

> sony STR-SE581
> voltage 150mV
> impedance 10kOhms
>
> the creative.com knowledge base search revealed:
> Line In Full Scale Input 2.0 Vrms
> Line In Impedance 10k ohms
>
> what is Vrms? I guess it has something to do with voltage... should
> 2.0 Vrms play nicely with 150mV?

Root Mean Square, which technically means the DC voltage that develops
the same power in resistive load as the AC signal would... a sort of
average and a reasonable way of comparing volume levels.

No, it wouldn't play nicely - your 150mV output is, as shown, rather low
for an input that expects 2V and that explains ithe low levels you are
seeing.

> looks like headphones output works pretty well. I don't get
> unprocessed signal (i.e. volume, treble/bass, effect (dolby, room
> type...) etc. are all there so I have to be careful about the settings
> on the receiver) but the signal is strong enough (matching what
> soundblaster expects).
>
> any comments? gotchas?

As you say, the volume and other controls affect it - but that's the
only problem, and you can live with that - just don't touch them once
set up correctly!

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk