[linux-audio-user] An Aztec 2320 ISA sound card problem

Subject: [linux-audio-user] An Aztec 2320 ISA sound card problem
From: Ravi Kumar (kumar.rvi_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 19:50:44 EEST

Hello,
     I have an Aztec 2320 sound card.It is ISA and not PCI. I have
recently installed Fedora core 2 on my machine. I could not get the
sound to work, so I checked and found that I have indeed sound support
compiled in my kernel (2.6). Then I had visited the alsa-project.org
site and according to their suggestion, loaded the aztec 2320 module -
snd_azt2320. Now my machine correctly detects the card but when I play
a sound file, no sound is heard. I checked that the volume is high by
running kmix and alsamixer program. Also earlier I was able to pop an
audio CD and play it successfully. But after loading the Aztec module,
I am not able to hear that too, though the music is being played.
I have included the lines as specified in the alsa-project.org site
into the /etc/modules.conf file.
The 'lsmod' listing as well as the contents of the '/etc/modules.conf'
file has been included below for your viewing. Please tell me where I
could have gone wrong. Is it that the details given on the site were
for a PCI based card and is different for an ISA based card of the
same chipset?

I checked for the files - /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, /dev/sequencer and
/dev/midi - but I found that /dev/midi is missing. Could it be because
of that too?

Sorry for this long email.

Thanks in advance
Ravi

//My machine's lsmod listing is as given below

Module Size Used by
snd_azt2320 9768 0
snd_opl3_lib 7424 1 snd_azt2320
snd_hwdep 6276 1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_cs4231_lib 18948 1 snd_azt2320
snd_pcm 68872 1 snd_cs4231_lib
snd_timer 17156 3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 7940 2 snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 4864 1 snd_azt2320
snd_rawmidi 17184 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 6152 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
floppy 47440 0
snd_mixer_oss 13824 0
snd 38372 10
snd_azt2320,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore 6112 1 snd
sermouse 3712 0
ipv6 184288 8
parport_pc 19392 1
lp 8236 0
parport 29640 2 parport_pc,lp
ipt_REJECT 4736 1
ipt_state 1536 5
ip_conntrack 24968 1 ipt_state
iptable_filter 2048 1
ip_tables 13440 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
nls_utf8 1536 1
nls_cp437 5376 1
vfat 10496 1
fat 33472 1 vfat
dm_mod 33184 0
uhci_hcd 23708 0
ext3 102376 1
jbd 40216 1 ext3

//Contents of the modules.conf file

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-azt2320
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

--
I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I DO and I understand.