Re: [linux-audio-user] Now trying to configure

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Now trying to configure
From: M P Smoak (smoak_AT_mis.net)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 03:40:31 EEST

On Monday 18 October 2004 06:15, Alejandro Lopez wrote:
<snip>
> I've opened a MIDI file under MusE as well as under
> Rosegarden. Both seem to think they are playing it (no error
> will show up and the screen gets updated) but no sound comes
> out. Being a moron as for Linux, I need to learn some things
> from you guys in order to start troubleshooting.

I'm running rh9 planetccrma but I think this might work for
your troubleshooting. Try (from my rh9commandsdused.txt file):

[marv_AT_localhost marv]$ aplaymidi --port=65:0 yourmidifile.mic

If that doesn't work (or to just see the doc's), try:

[marv_AT_localhost marv]$ aplaymidi -h
Usage: aplaymidi -p client:port[,...] [-d delay] midifile ...
-h, --help this help
-V, --version print current version
-l, --list list all possible output ports
-p, --port=client:port,... set port(s) to play to
-d, --delay=seconds delay after song ends

and
[marv_AT_localhost marv]$ aplaymidi -l
 Port Client name Port name
 64:0 EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmidi EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
 65:0 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0
 65:1 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 1
 65:2 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 2
 65:3 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 3
128:0 QAMix qamix

> 1. When I run an application from the command line (rather
> than from the desktop menu), I get lots of potentially useful
> messages. I'd love to have a look at the ones from rosegarden4
> but only part seem to be printed to stdout, so if I redirect
> to a file using "rosegarden4 > file.text" I'm still missing
> the majority of messages. I've been looking for any text file
> where these messages could be written but I can't find it
> (I've pushed my "find" and "grep" knowledge beyond limits
> now). Any advice? I'd like to check for silly things like the
> sequencer not getting the permission needed to open the
> soundcard and stuff like that.

Maybe the aplaymidi -l will tell you about the ports you have
(or don't have) available. If the card is a wavetable type card
you have to load a soundfont; I use the command sfxload.

sfxload --volume=100 audiovideo/FluidR3_20GM.SF2
see man sfxload for other options.

I'm still learning how to "see" or capture error messages myself.
Can't give much advice, but have found the following useful
for capturing man pages:

[marv_AT_localhost marv]$man XF86Config | col -b > XF86Config.mantxt

Helpful for me to remember which commands I'm needing.

With rosegarden4, are you starting it from a terminal window? If
so do you see the messages there? There is no man page on my
system for rosegarden or rosegarden4, but doing a commandline,

[marv_AT_localhost marv]$ rosegarden --help
Usage: rosegarden [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] [File]

Rosegarden - A sequencer and musical notation editor

Generic options:
  --help Show help about options
  --help-qt Show Qt specific options
  --help-kde Show KDE specific options
  --help-all Show all options
  --author Show author information
  -v, --version Show version information
  --license Show license information
  -- End of options

  --nosequencer Don't use the sequencer (support editing only)
  --nosplash Don't show the splash screen
  --nofork Don't automatically run in the background
  --existingsequencer Attach to a running sequencer process, if found

Arguments:
  File file to open

> The thing is: both sequencers list my
> soundcard as the MIDI out where the music is being routed to,
> but they don't specify wether that is actually a synth or an
> external connection. Any tips?
>
> 3. Last thing I suspect is maybe the synth is getting the
> messages and generating the sounds and it's just me failing to
> turn it up? I've tried a couple of "soundcard mixers"
> including the ALSA mixer, another (similar) one (can't
> remember name), plus the built-in "MIDI mixer" each sequencer
> has; no joy. The thing I find a bit suspicious is that the
> soundcard mixers don't have a synth slide. They have slides
> for mic in, aux, wave and several others (all of them are now
> selected just in case) but not for the internal synth.

With my soundcard and both QAmix and alsamixer, the volume of
synth play is controled by both the "pcm" and the "music"
sliders. In QAmix both are on the Playback tab.

Hope this helps,
Marv