Re: [linux-audio-user] GM sound font sets, was Now trying to configure

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] GM sound font sets, was Now trying to configure
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 11:54:56 EEST

Alejandro Lopez wrote:
> apparently Windows XP uses a soft synth by default. [...] I'll be
> looking into using the fonts that Windows may have. At the moment,
> all I know is they sound quite good and quite uniform (they work
> well as a GM set).

They are related to Roland's Sound Canvas sounds:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Pine.HPX.4.33n.0404070904380.17626-100000%40studcom.urz.uni-halle.de

> I shall investigate wether the waves are in any known sond font
> format or not.

The file gm.dls or gm16.dls is stored in ...\system32\drivers\.

The DLS format is an MMA standard:
http://www.midi.org/about-midi/dls/abtdls.shtml

HTH
Clemens