Re: [linux-audio-user] GM sound font sets, was Now trying to configure

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] GM sound font sets, was Now trying to configure
From: Alejandro Lopez (alex_osiris_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 17:03:45 EEST

Hi Clemens,

>This isn't a "SC-55 implementation" -- while the samples are a reduced
>version of the SC-55's samples, the MIDI implementation is essentially
>only at the General MIDI level, and not fully GS compatible.

I see, sorry I missunderstood, clear now!

>Creative's soundfonts were created by Emu. It is said that Roland's
>sample set is more balanced.

Well I've listened to SB and RSC renderings in different occasions
(including Win XP synth, which I din't know it had Roland samples). SB ones
have never ever impressed me. Although RSC are not huge quality (definitely
not what you would like to hear in music CD in my opinion), at least they
always sounded balanced and "pleasing" to me. I would be very happy to use
these for composing purposes, that is, to use the PC for writing tunes that
would eventually be played by a band at some point.

>Have a look at the gm.dls file. Size isn't everything. ;-)

Dead right. The only "but" is so far I've been unsuccessful to find a way to
use a DLS file with a soft synth for Linux (I just made a first Google
attempt to search for either a soft synth that would load them or a
conversion utility DLS to SF2 or something). Any suggestion?

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Alex

Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Encuentra mil ideas para exprimir tu
ocio con MSN Entretenimiento. http://entretenimiento.msn.es/