Re: [linux-audio-user] SPDIF - jack or ecasound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SPDIF - jack or ecasound
From: Martin Rocamora (mrocamora_AT_adinet.com.uy)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 01:45:10 EEST

Hi Mark! Thank you very much for your answer.
I'll try to explain the situation.

With some friends we're going to record a simple live performance. We don't
have multiple channel sound cards, so we plan to use several sound cards (
Digidesign AUDIOMEDIA 3 and Sound Blaster Live). As there are no GNU/Linux
drivers for the AUDIOMEDIA we're forced to use a Window$ system with it, and
a GNU/Linux system with the SBLive. We plan to record in the Session software
recieving the SBlive through the SPDIF port (you can tell Session to
syncronise to the SPDIF input). That's why we need to use SPDIF in GNU/Linux.

You say there's no difference in using an audio port or using SPDIF (in a
SBLive), but SPDIF port is not present in qjack. May be I'm terribly wrong,
but the qjack ports I have are:
readable clients / output ports : alsapcm capture 1 y 2
writeable clients / input ports : alsapcm playback 1 y 2
¿How can I send the speakers to the SPDIF?

It would be great if you could explain how to syncronise diferent systems
through the SPDIF in GNU/Linux.

Thanks a lot!

Martín.