[linux-audio-user] Win XP won't boot after Demudi install :-(

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Win XP won't boot after Demudi install :-(
From: Alejandro Lopez (alez_cuatrosegundos_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 10:39:21 EEST

Hi All,

Just a quick note to thank everyone, especially Dirk, Emiliano and Russell
whose posts have been really helpful in solving my problem.

Everything is working again and I've been able to understand what happened,
which is exactly as described by Dirk (nice one). Silly but potentially
dangerous.

During the installation, Demudi detected my XP partition and added a menu
entry in the Grub config file /boot/grub/menu.lst. However, it failed to see
the first partition (that's the hidden recovery partition in this propietary
format). Therefore, the XP partition was added as (hd0,0) instead of
(hd0,1). I was really lucky that the recovery software cannot boot from Grub
(chainloader) and crashes. Otherwise, the recovery software would have
restored the factory partitions and software.

Cheers,

Alex

http://search.msn.com/