RE: [linux-audio-user] How broken are epia boards for use with ardour?(sorry if you've seen this message many times)

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] How broken are epia boards for use with ardour?(sorry if you've seen this message many times)
From: Alejandro Lopez (alez_cuatrosegundos_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 10:40:28 EEST

Hi James,

The setup I'm planning, which is rather affordable, is a normal noisy
desktop PC (CPU only with no screen, keyboard or mouse), LAN connected to a
cheap laptop which would act as the console. The advantages I expect this
setup to bring are:

-I can take the noisy PC off the recording room easily.

-Its CPU won't need to generate graphics, so I get a few CPU extra cycles
for audio

-My studio will be reasonably easy to move from place to place (compared to
a full desktop PC with a CRT and stuff) at an affordable price. This is good
because I cannot record drums at home for instance, so for this kind of
thing I plan to hire a rehearsal studio.

I'm still in the proccess of configuring everything, but I've already tried
to export a X windows display over my net (which is 10 Mb!) and it works
perfectly, I mean it's responsive enough. The laptop I'm using is a Pentium
100 MHz which you can get second hand really cheap, only fault is battery is
dead (irrelevant in my application), it has a 1 Gb hard disk (enough for
Linux + X windows) and a 800 x 600 TFT (the low resolution is a bugger but I
hope it's just "usable").

Maybe a route to consider?

Cheers,

Alex