Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and Standards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and Standards
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 00:50:05 EET

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 15:15, lau_AT_lupulin.net wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 02:04:36PM -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > No disrespect intended to Richard Stallman and the GNU crowd. The OS
> > wouldn't exist without those tools but the tools are not part of the
> > OS. They are merely applications that are bundled in with the
> > distribution.
> >
> > Given the more widely accepted definition of an operating system I think
> > it is perfectly acceptable to speak of Linux as a standard.
>
> This is a gray area, but I think that you cannot just say that the gnu
> tools are _not_ a part of the operating system.
>
> Would you say that the startup scripts are _not_ a part of the OS ?
> All the startup scripts that I've seen rely are parts of gnu coreutils.
>
> I think that qualifies as being _part_ of the OS.

        Nope. A startup script is just a startup script. Grub is not part of
the operating system either. The OS is, by definition, the kernel. An
interesting thing to consider is RTLinux. Linux is *not* the OS in
RTLinux. The RT microkernel is the OS. Linux is merely the idle
process. I guess you could say it's part of the OS since it is in the
inner loop so to speak. And, speaking of which, has anyone taken a look
at Monta Vista's Open Source Real-Time Linux Project in relation to
audio? It's using a lot of Ingo's patches.

Jan