Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] dssi-vst 0.3

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] dssi-vst 0.3
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 19:06:35 EET

Chris Cannam wrote:

>On Thursday 04 Nov 2004 16:18, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>

>>what advantages might there be for the vst specific stuff in
>>running this client as opposed to jack_fst or vstserver?
>>

>The only really compelling reason is that you happen to want to use VST
>effects or instruments as plugins in a DSSI host (which today means in
>Rosegarden).
>
>Another practical reason to use dssi-vst is that it's probably less particular
>than jack_fst or vstserver about what versions of Wine it works with, but
>that obviously isn't an issue for you. It is also possible that some VSTs
>might work in dssi-vst but not in jack_fst or vstserver, and vice versa, just
>because of subtle differences between the hosts, but that's just theory --
>I'm not aware of any examples.

That would be a big deal IMO! I spent a LONG time trying to get vst
stuff working. In the end, the only 2 versions of Wine that have worked
with jack_fst were the one on Kjetils site and the current version I'm
using which is 05052004.

>jack_fst will almost certainly offer lower latencies and better realtime
>performance than either vstserver or dssi-vst.

This is a deal killer if the latency is significantly worse.
As soon as I get a chance I'll check it out.

Thanks!