Re: [linux-audio-user] creating harmony files ( 3rd, 4th, 5th)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] creating harmony files ( 3rd, 4th, 5th)
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 21:21:20 EET

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 12:13:16PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:02:15AM -0600, ed orphan wrote:
> > Can you create a file that is the 3rd, 4th, or 5th
> > harmony to another file using Sox
> seriously doubt it.
> > or ecasound?
> Maybe, by using some ladspa pitch shifter plugin.
> However, you may not get what you want.
> Traditional harmonies are rarely a single parallel
> interval; the interval shifts depending on the root.
> I don't know of any software for linux that does this.

While Paul's harmonic advice is sound, you can accomplish the experiment
you're interested in doing with sound stretch, I think:

http://sky.prohosting.com/oparviai/soundtouch/soundstretch.html
"The sound Pitch (key) adjustable in range -60 .. +60 semitones (+- 5 octaves)."

A third would be 3 or 4 semitones, a fourth is 5 semitones and a 5th is
7 semitones.

-Eric Rz.