Re: [linux-audio-user] Rosgarden, jack_fst and Native Instruments B4

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Rosgarden, jack_fst and Native Instruments B4
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 04:41:14 EET

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 03:44:26 +0200 (EET), Timo Sivula
<timo.sivula_AT_luukku.com> wrote:
> After a considerable amount of work I now can use the B4 vst instrument under Linux. The setup is as follows:
>
> Fedora Core 1 + Planet CCRMA
> Wine-20041019
> jack_fst-1.2 with Mark Knecht's hack for Wine-20041019
> Native Instruments B4
>
> However, when using B4 as a soft synth under Rosegarden it plays perfectly for the first playback. When I stop the sequencer and "rewind" to the beginning of the track and start playback again, B4 goes quiet.
>
> The B4 UI still works, I can see the B4 UI keyboard moving in sync with my midi keyboard, all controls work, I can see the B4 midi and audio connections in qjcaktctl, and Rosegarden shows midi traffic on the channel assigned for B4, but there is just no sound. If I kill the B4 window and restart and reconnect it, it works again, for one playback.
>
> I have tried reconnecting the midi and audio connections and I have set and unset the mute and bypass buttons in the VST window to no avail. B4 stays quiet until I restart it. I have tried this also without Mark Kencht's hack of jack_fst-1.2 in wine-20040505 but the behavior is the same in both cases.
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong? B4 works perfectly for hours when using it outside the sequencer environment, but I would also like to use it in Roseqarden.
>
> br, Timo

Hi Timo,
   Sorry your having troubles. I'm also seeing some funny problems
with jack_fst sound, but I'm not using it with RG so I cannot say much
about that. Some ideas:

1) Run the B4 under the Wine debugger in a terminal and see if it
reports any errors:

WINEDEBUG=+err jack_fst PATH-TO-B4.dll

2) I found a MIDI Monitor VST device that shows MIDI traffic and can
be connected to different VST devices in QJC. You might consider
downloading it and running it under jack_fst hooked to the B4. This
would allow you to see if MIDI traffic is really getting to the B4 or
if it's not really coming out of RG.

(COMMENT: Rui - If you happen to read this please consider adding some
MIDI activity monitors in QJC's MIDI Connections page some day.)

3) I use a little virtual keyboard that I think I got from Takashi
San's personal page. You might hook it up to the B4, make sure the B4
and RG work, run RG and create the problem, and then try the B4 witht
he virtual keyboard and see if it's still working. If it is the
problem is more in RG's output than the B4 side.

Don't know what else to say except good luck.

Cheers,
Mark