Re: [linux-audio-user] recording bats?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording bats?
From: Michael T Nelson (m_nels_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 12:46:19 EET

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

>I just had a crazy idea ... Sorry if this is off topic a bit. Does
>anyone know what frequency ranges bats use? Would a 96KHz 24bit card be
>able to capture anything useful from their sounds?
>
>I was just wondering what it would sound like to get a recording of the
>bats eating bugs in the evenings in my backyard and then slow it down
>enough to get into a human audible frequency range.

When I was doing my University final year project last year (I studied
Electronic Engineering with Music Technology), a guy in my year was
making a portable bat call recorder. I had to go and hear him do a talk
on his project, and I'm struggling to remember what the important points
were. I was a bit preoccupied with giving a presentation on my own
project next!

I think he was interested in how much he could fit onto a small media
card. He said all the existing devices are either as big as a van and
very expensive, or actually semi-portable but limited in quality. It all
hinged on whether or not the frequency shifting was done in real-time
to memory, or whether it was stored raw.

I also seem to remember that my housemate and I made two suggestions -
not to use Sony's memory stick (which required licensing, but was a
little bit smaller), and to try FLAC lossless compression.

If I can contact him, I'll try to put you in touch. I'm quite busy with
work at the moment though.

Sorry if this is all a little vague...

Michael Nelson