Re: [linux-audio-user] first release for fmit

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] first release for fmit
From: Gilles Degottex (gilles.degottex_AT_net2000.ch)
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 06:23:32 EET

version 0.8.3 released

On Thursday 11 November 2004 15:06, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> Great, best tuner there is. Very good note recognition, two "interfaces"
> to look at and tune to. Turned out I pretty soon started to use the
> "Error history", with strings it's enlightening. Thank you.
Thx !

> * On startup fmit says "JACK: format = 16 bits Mono". The alsa backend
> in jackd is initialized with "creating alsa driver [...] 32bit". Does
> that mean the 32-bit frame that gets data from a 24-bit-device is
> truncated somewhere? In fmit?
nope, it was a lost comment :) ... removed

> * Threshold for note recognition seems to be at about -40dbFS. E1 has
> energy above that much longer than E3 of course. So I get x seconds for
> E1 and about 1/6th of x seconds for E3. Setting "Volume threshold" in
> the configure dialog from 1% (default) to 0% renders quirky results. I
> don't understand "Components threshold". Would have tried but ... see
> below. Can there be something done about this?
I switch volume treshold to per thousands. It maybe help you, I hope. I dont
see what I can do more, except switch to per ten thousands or more :P
"Components threshold" is a bit difficult to explain without explain the whole
note recognition algorithm. I will document all theses things on the website
of my other project
'Free Audio Note Recognition' (http://home.gna.org/fanr)
the algo is not completely finished, so I'll not comment this immediatly, but
I'll do it ... one day ;) leave it as it is. (In your case of db treshold, it
wont help you).

> * Changing things in "Configure", saving and ok'ing crashes fmit. This
> is with a 'make features="enable-gui enable-debug" configure', is
> "enable-debug" the right argument here? INSTALL is a bit unclear about
> that.
I got this bug too, but now, it disapears, tell me if you can get it back with
the next version.
'enable-gui' was an example !
I modified the INSTALL file, the '$make configure' command interface and the
developer-doc page on the website, I hope it's clearer.

Thanks for your interest in this project,
Best regards,
Gilles