Re: [linux-audio-user] [(nowhere)] USB Dance mat

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [(nowhere)] USB Dance mat
From: Jamie Guinan (guinan_AT_bluebutton.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 08:19:30 EET

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Laura Conrad wrote:

> Jamie> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Laura Conrad wrote:
> >> I got a USB mat from Level6 to use with pydance, and it looks like the
> >> system is recognizing it as a joystick, but I can't get it to read any
> >> events. I checked it on a Windows 98 system, and it has no problem
> >> seeing the button events, so I think the hardware is probably OK.
>
> Jamie> I have the same mat (2 of them in fact). Do you have the EMS usb
> Jamie> adapter?
>
> No, that was probably a mistake. They have a USB mat without an
> adaptor now, and that's what I bought. That is, it isn't a PS2 mat;
> it plugs directly into the USB.

I wouldn't call it a mistake just yet. I'm also running kernel 2.6.9 with
no problems (Red Hat before, gentoo now), but with the EMS USB + PS2 pads.
The kernel seems to at least see your device, and it shows a sane number
of buttons, so that's a start.

What does "ls -l /dev/js0" show?

I'm using udev, and my device shows up like this,

$ ls -l /dev/input/js0
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 13, 0 Sep 24 22:22 /dev/input/js0

-Jamie

p.s. I love the dance games, but I also imagine that dance pads could make
a very interesting control/input device for live music!