[linux-audio-user] Re: hexter DX7 modeling DSSI plugin

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: hexter DX7 modeling DSSI plugin
From: Sean Bolton (musound_AT_jps.net)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 03:32:25 EET

On Nov 15, 2004, at 12:23 AM, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> Has anyone compared DX7 and Hexter? Could anyone load the same
> instrument to both and record the outputs for us?

Yeah, I compared them all the time as I was developing hexter ;-)

Here are some quick examples I threw together of how close (or not)
hexter comes to a real DX7. In each one, hexter is panned hard
right, and my TX7 (a DX7 in module form) is panned hard left.

http://home.jps.net/~musound/chopin.mp3

This is some Chopin with random patch changes thrown in. Both the
TX7 and hexter are running with 16 voice polyphony. You can hear
that both hexter and the TX7 click a bit when stealing voices.
Also, hexter's quite a bit more graceful when receiving a patch
change via sysex -- the TX7 twangs here transitioning into the
"acoustic piano" patch.

http://home.jps.net/~musound/clav_and_bass.mp3

This is actually two TX7s in the left channel, and two instances of
hexter in the right channel.

http://home.jps.net/~musound/e_piano.mp3

Here you can hear that while hexter is pretty close to the TX7, it
doesn't quite get the modulation right, resulting in a slightly
brighter or more midrangy sound.

http://home.jps.net/~musound/mallet.mp3
http://home.jps.net/~musound/organs.mp3

A couple more examples.

http://home.jps.net/~musound/effects.mp3

This shows some of the patches hexter has the most trouble with
(thanks to Frank Neumann for collecting these). Many effects
patches depend on amplitude or pitch modulation, LFO, and unusual
envelope generator timings. As of version 0.5.7, hexter is still
lacking
the DX7's AM and PM and LFO, and the odd envelope timings have so
far resisted all efforts at prediction.

All of the examples were generated from the same MIDI stream (both
sys-ex patch dumps and notes). The TX7s were connected directly to
my Delta 44, and both they and hexter were recorded simultaneously
at 44.1kHz using ecasound and JACK. Audacity was used to trim and
normalize the recordings (no effects other than fade-in and fade-out
were used), and lame with '-h -b192' was used to encode the MP3s.

These URLs should be valid for a week or two, then I may need to
use the space for something else. If they don't work, try checking
here:

http://home.jps.net/~musound/index.html

or the hexter web page at:

http://dssi.sourceforge.net/hexter.html