Re: [Alsa-user] [linux-audio-user] Novation ReMOTE, Speedio & XStation

Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] [linux-audio-user] Novation ReMOTE, Speedio & XStation
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 18:24:38 EET

Nick Dowell wrote:
> $ aplay -D novation korova.wav
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:325:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS
> failed: Connection timed out

I guess this error code was generated when the driver tried to set the
sample format, but the device didn't respond in time. In this case
there should be a corresponding error message from the USB controller
driver in the system log; is there?

It may be possible that the device doesn't handle this command because
there is only one sample format/rate (but I'm just guessing here).
Please show the contents of /proc/asound/card0/stream0 and the output
of "lsusb -v" for the XStation.

> The same thing happens when i try with 'aplay -D default'.
> But with 'aplay -D "hw:0,0"' the error is:
> aplay: set_params:805: Sample format non available
>
> Why should the error be any different? I thought default was the same
> as hw:0,0?

"default" is defined as "plug:hw:0,0", i.e., the same as your
"novation" definition.

> From http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php?module=Generic:
> "The keyword default is defined in the ALSA lib api and will
> always access hw:0,0"

This sentence is technically correct -- "default" does access hw:0,0
after the conversions are done. :-)

Best regards,
Clemens