[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 21:19:42 EET

At Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:54:58 +0000,
Pieter Palmers wrote:

> Why don't we support the manufacturers that do support us? After all,
> there are some that provide us with what we need, and I don't see that
> mentioned that often. I'm quite confident that for most needs you can
> find a card from a manufacturer that supports ALSA development. Correct
> me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that for example RME and ESI
> actively support the development of ALSA drivers for their producs.

Well, the ALSA support shall be achieved sooner or later :)
But it's true that there is still a significant gap between the
product release and the support on Linux.
Once people recognize the importance of Linux desktop, this gap will
be decreaed, I guess.

My biggest concern is the chaos like what has happend on USB
audio/midi (or look at ACPI). I really hope such a theatrical
confusion won't happen on fireware audio. The precised specification
doesn't always lead to a good result :)

Takashi