[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_pp.inet.fi)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 19:12:41 EET

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 15:16 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> And I posted a [possibly OT] rant to that thread about how this was a
> waste of time and how you could REALLY make a killing with open sound
> hardware.

I've been doing hardware design and device driver development as part of
my day work. Designing open source hardware is possible in theory, but I
can't see who would pay the expenses of the development. Software and
hardware required to develop a proper hardware costs thousands of euros.
Also each prototype manufacturing of the PCB is about 500¤, and
components a few hundred (because not buying >1000 each). So yeah, it
would be possible for about 10000¤ if not counting price for the work. I
don't have, nor willing to spend that kind of money for development of
open piece of hardware. Someone else would of course collect the money
from the sales of such hardware.

Software is different thing, you are mostly spending just time. I've
still put a few thousand euros of pure money to my software projects.
It's a different thing is someone is willing to sponsor such a project.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako_AT_pp.inet.fi>