Re: [linux-audio-user] best DISTRO?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] best DISTRO?
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 07:29:31 EET

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:13:04 +0900, chaotic_AT_free.net.nz
<chaotic_AT_free.net.nz> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Any advice appreciated
>
> peace
>
> Hamish

Distros are like religion. We all have ours. We don't understand the
others. Hopefully we can coexist peacefully and have some fun
together.

I use PlanetCCRMA (based on FC2) and Gentoo. They are both great for
me. Gentoo has a wonderful library of program available. It has a bit
of a learning curve, but not that bad. The installation scares most
people off. I think the developers rev software too fast, even in the
stable branch, but that's the way it is. It's a religion.

Fedora is a good distro and made much better for music by the Stanford
PlanetCCRMA unit run by Fernando. It's solid and great for music. I
find FC2 a little less intrusive. I sort of forget I'm running and
operating system and just get a little more done using it. That said,
when I want somethign on FC2 that's not music oriented it's much
harder to find and get installed.

I just don't get Debian somehow. I'm missing the gene I guess. It's
probably great also.

Hope this helps,
Mark