Re: [linux-audio-user] ext3 filesystem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ext3 filesystem
From: Paul Coccoli (pcoccoli_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 18:57:43 EET

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:00:42 -0800 (PST), R Parker <rtp405_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My hda1 partition is becoming %100 used and I don't
> know why. This began happening after a system lockup
> where I had to power cycle. I made about 9.7Gig of
> space available on the drive but after another lockup
> and power cycle the drive is %100 used again.

You didn't mention whether or not you looked for actual files taking
up all the disk space. This might not be useful at all, but whenever
I'm trying to free up disk space, I use the following command to find
the directories that take up the most space:

du -m / | sort -n

This can take a long time before you see any output (because sort
needs du to finish).

Also, have you checked for any core files lying around? If you have a
process that's dumping core and being restarted, your disk can fill up
quickly. You can use find to remove any core files on disk:

find / -name "core.*" -exec rm {} \;

Be careful with that, especially if you run it as root.

Maybe you already did all this, but I always suspect the simple things
before something like an ext3 problem.