Re: [linux-audio-user] Edirol UM-1S weird behaviour

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Edirol UM-1S weird behaviour
From: David Baron (d_baron_AT_012.net.il)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 09:19:42 EET

On Monday 22 November 2004 20:27, linux-audio-user-request_AT_music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> > Check to make sure that it is indeed alsa which is running
> > (one USB driver covers both audio and MIDI). If need be,
> > "blanklist" the OSS USB drivers.
>
> Hm, currently I do not know by myself how to do so, but I'll
> figure this out the next days. Is it save to deactivate all
> OSS support in general in the kernel config, or will this
> cause the ALSA OSS emulation to be not working?

The file is (in Debian at least) /etc/hotplug/blacklist. Placing the offending
OSS driver names there prevents the hotplug system from loading them. You
only need to blacklist ones such as usb-audio and usb-midi that are indeed
loaded by hotplug and conflict.

Another similar program is "Discover". If you are using this, then "sound" and
such should be excluded.

Alsa has an OSS compatibility so that applications that use OSS can still run.