[linux-audio-user] Problems recording using soundcard's 'mic' jack

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Problems recording using soundcard's 'mic' jack
From: Sebastian Tennant (sebyte_AT_smolny.plus.com)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 01:21:47 EET

Hi all.

I'm running Debian 'Sid' and a working ALSA sound driver. My
soundcard is a Cirrus Logic CS4281. The GNOME 'CD Player' app
plays CDs no problem. 'Muine' plays mp3s no problem and all the GNOME
desktop sound effects work fine. However when I plug a line-level audio
signal into the soundcard's 'mic' mini-jack and try to record a wav audio
file I get nothing. (I can hear the sound fine through the
headphones/laptop speakers). I've tried 'wavtools' and 'ecasound' but
when I try to play back the resulting wav file using 'Alsaplayer' all I
get is silence. No doubt the thing I'm doing wrong is glaringly
obvious but be damned if I can figure out what it is!

Any help much appreciated.

sebyte

--
CC me by all means but a follow-up will usually do.