Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 01:54:01 EET

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 20:50, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 04:22 -0500, Rick B wrote:
>
> > I kind of got the impression that the annoucement was just pertaining to
> > RME *Firewire* audio interfaces.

Consider that they have released some specs for their HDSP hammerfall
series, which uses a *proprietary* firewire protocol and that their
latest PC products were based on IEEE1394 except one or two PCI based
cards.

> That's what i thought. "RME is no more" seems a bit exagerated (although
> i feel for the person who bought the card thinking it's supported by the
> Linux drivers).

I don't think it's exagerated, see explanation above.
I knew exactly it wasn't at the time i bought it, i just took it for
granted. I talked to Thomas Charbonnel back in april at the ZKM and it
seemed that they were positive about alsa support for fireface.

> Anyway, beyond Linux support tribulations, the RME Fireface is a great
> card. I just read a review in the international Dec 2004 edition of
> Sound On Sound - it's really cool. It has all the things that i wish the
> Multiface had.

I can only agree with that. But that's even worse for us then. ;)

> Sadly, if there's no support for Linux, i guess i won't buy it. It's not
> like the world ends with RME or anything.

Well it's close to such situation in the linux pro-audio world. The two
major players in pro-audio hw market that supported ALSA development if
only indirectly by providing specs, were m-audio and... rme.
Have a look at the ALSA matrix, it's a pretty sad situation.
The only *real* hw manufacturer in my eyes is audioscience, they provide
their own ALSA drivers(that's how it should be) but produce only
broadcast cards.

Marek