[linux-audio-user] trying to get midi working to run rosegarden

Subject: [linux-audio-user] trying to get midi working to run rosegarden
From: airplays55_AT_yahoo.com
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 05:09:12 EET

I've been trying to get rosegarden v2.1 working on
knoppix HD install (to ultimately be remastered to my
custom liveCD).

The Knoppix liveCD autoconfigures almost everything
automatically (video, network card, soundcard audio)
but not the soundcard MIDI portion. I believe knoppix
is using the OSS driver to be able to run rosegarden
2.1

By booting with the ALSA cheatcode, knoppix liveCD
supposedly boots up using the ALSA drivers. The
problem is that I've not found anyone that got
rosegarden working with the midiports, whether using
ALSA or OSS. Since I'm experimenting with a harddisk
install however, I will be able to install any missing
libraries & modules. However in looking at the
rosegarden4 tutorial ch.2, I dont know where to begin
since a lot of the ALSA modules are not installed,
however hopefully I wouldnt need ALSA if I can get
midi working under OSS for rosegarden 2.1?

I'm not sure where to begin since rosegarden v2.1 says
/dev/sequencer is invalid. Can somebody please offer
a suggestion of a starting point to help get me on the
track to troubleshoot and get rosegarden working? thanks.