Re: [linux-audio-user] open source firewire

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] open source firewire
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 23:20:35 EET

On Sun, 2004-28-11 at 10:55 -0600, Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> Anyway, to get to the point... isn't it true that firewire by virtue of
> it's similar-to-USB-nature suffers from the same limitations as USB?
> Iirc I was told that whatever limitations causing the (IMO) extreme
> suckage of USB audio on linux will be present in a firewire interface.

Firewire isn't very similar to USB /at all/, other than the fact that
they're external busses that can be used to connect things to a
computer.

Look at some information about the architechture of each system, they're
drastically different (Firewire being vastly superior in every single
way, for the record)

For one thing, Firewire doesn't require a host computer at all, whereas
USB of course does. Firewire devices will figure out the layout of the
firewire 'network' and establish appropriate master/slave relationships
all by themselves, no computer needed. That should give an idea how
similar they are.

--
Dave Robillard <drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca>