Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 02:45:53 EET

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 21:20, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 12:06 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Fine with me. If I shelled out for RME hardware I better be able to
> > > call RME for support, same as on any other OS. You get what you pay
> > > for, right?
> >
> > Sure, but when you buy it and the box says 'Requires Mac OS X or
> > Windows XP' then as a buyer I have to respect that. I cannot expect
> > them to support Linux when it wasn't advertised that it works on
> > Linux. RME has given me GREAT support under Windows and I expect that
> > this will not change. They are a great company. I own two cards and
> > wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I was going to set up another
> > Windows box.
>
> Yeah, I was referring to an Nvidia like scenario, where they don't
> release open drivers, but release closed Linux drivers of comparable
> quality and the same support as the Windows driver.
>
> Of course I would be pretty annoyed if they just drop Linux completely,
> for the same reasons as others in this thread - they have a relationship
> with the community at this point. But I don't think they would be that
> stupid. After all pissing off hundreds of potential customers is just
> as bad an idea as giving valuable IP to the competition.

Seems i can't convince you on this issue Lee :)
It's _not_ _at_ _all_ as valuable as it might seem.
3 reasons:
1. the audio market is about to be flooded with firewire interfaces (an
hour a go i just discovered that echo also plans such interface) and
they will all deliver outstanding performance (at least that's what they
claim ;)
2. All of the companies have hired very skilled people to do the job and
as a result each and every product will talk to the pc in a different
way, each will cripple OHCI or whatever protocol in a different way in
order to achieve better results, and each will introduce different
problems to its users. In an ideal world, with everything opensourced,
they would all just work together on a audio-over-ieee1394 standard,
achieving much better results.
3. Audioscience - i'm going to repeat this over and over again.
Imagine RME programming opensource ALSA drivers and providing official
support for those, imagine nvidia and ati providing opensource dri
drivers and providing official support for it. That's what audioscience
does. If there's someone who doesn't want this, please raise your hand
now.

Isn't audioscience providing it's own valuable IP?

Marek