[linux-audio-user] [OT] Copyrights [was: Re: Behringer [was: Re: RME is no more]]

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Copyrights [was: Re: Behringer [was: Re: RME is no more]]
From: Tim Orford (tim_AT_orford.org)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 15:52:05 EET

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 06:49:21AM -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > copyright and hence the GPL is not concerned with ownership,
> > it only deals with the right to copy.
> >
> > ownership of the copyrighted "expression of an idea" is in practice
> > not important at all. I have heard people claim that its public domain,
> > though i havnt been able to confirm that.
>
> This is the Darl McBride/SCO argument against the GPL. It makes about
> as much sense as the "Wookie defense" on South Park - "If Chewbacca
> lives on Endor, you must acquit!"

hi!

sorry I didnt quite follow that. Would you mind elaborating?
(guess i need to catch up on some more Southpark:-))

just to be clear, i'm making an esoteric distinction between the
ownership of a copyright (which can be bought and sold), and the
ownership of the "expression of an idea" itself.

cheers

--
Tim Orford