Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME is no more
From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 22:57:20 EET

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 12:16, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > > poses a threat to their competitive edge, they probably have a point.
> >
> > Right or wrong, it is their business and their choice.
> >
> > > While I'm a huge fan of OSS, I have to respect when companies like
> > > NVidia release binary-only drivers for a device. I'm just glad that
> > > they do, when so many companies will only release for Windoze, or for
> > > Windoze and Mac only. I think NVidia's support, for example, is as good
> > > for Linux as it is for any other platform. Do all bugs get fixed?
> > > Nope, and they don't in 99% of OSS projects, either.
> >
> > I believe in free speech, and this includes the right to remain
> > silent. Insisting that RME release code when they would rather not
> > violates *their* freedom.
>
> Jack, i think it rather violates the freedom of their *customers* to use
> the product they've purchased with the OS of their choice.

Sorry but you are wrong, the "freedom" of users is not affected by RME's
decision to not release information. Users have the freedom to chose
what they buy. They are not forced to buy a particular card. If they buy
it and they did not know it was not supported under linux (either
because they did not do the required homework before buying, or they did
the homework and still the card does not work) they should return it and
buy something else.

If the user wants __that__ card and nothing else will do, then politely
(yes, being polite will get you further than being rude) ask the vendor
to support it. If the vendor still decides to not support it then buy
something else and tell the vendor about your decision. If enough people
do that the vendor may reconsider the decision. Or not.

> > I value libre software for being minimally
> > coercive to both authors and users.
>
> Basically i think that people here are just *too* polite to stand up and
> thrash the companies for being careless. Because it's how it is.

Not really, it's how you see it.

If by "careless" you mean they don't care about the linux user base for
this particular product you are right.

So?

"Trashing the company" (ie: the equivalent of throwing a tantrum when
you are a little kid to get what you want) will not help, it will just
make us linux users look like little kids throwing a tantrum[*], IMHO.

-- Fernando

[*] sometimes doing that will get you what you want if your parents get
so fed up that giving up is easier than teaching you to grow up. Usually
you will be taught that that is not the proper way to ask for something
and you will _not_ get what you want. Not all of us learn that lesson as
we grow up, of course.