Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux audio hardware market research [was: creating a wiki "soundcard experiences" site]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux audio hardware market research [was: creating a wiki "soundcard experiences" site]
From: MarC (marc_contrib_AT_ramonvinyes.es)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 00:52:26 EET

En/na Ruth A. Kramer ha escrit:

>Marek Peteraj wrote:

>If anybody wants to start a wiki website related to sound, consider
>adding pages to WikiLearn (http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn).
>
>I can help with page naming and organization suggestions and editing.
>
>Randy Kramer
>
>PS: I owe the whole list an apology for not yet getting a particular
>audio related HOWTO on WikiLearn -- I've just gotten busy with other
>things.

Great. I've already registered with MarC (uhm it should be MarcVinyes
but I have never met anybody called MarC case sensitive :).
Can you give me some short-easy instructions about how to create the page?
(just to start. Maybe I'm not the right person to begin it, but sbdy has
to push a little bit...)

I'd only like to create a web with:

- links of sites where you can find which is the linux driver support
for your card:
alsa (http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/)
oss (http://www.opensound.com/osshw.html)
uhm is there anything more?
- a list of all cards, each one with a link to one page in which anyone
could add more info about usability in linux, programs associated,
configuration tips, etc.

for example: for my modest audigy I'd like to create a page with:
(of course, I'm a beginner and I may be wrong with many things out
there, that's why I want to put it in the Wiki, to let you correct it...
all these "knowledge" is from the agnula user list, and personal experience)
I think is a good idea to avoid the same postings over and over on the
linux lists about soundfonts for example, sfarK compression, support,
advice...

_Sound Blaster Audigy_

>features
I'll copy the specifications from Creative....

>good points
good for recording line one input, stereo, 16bit at sample rate 48Khz or
44Khz. Lowest latency: 11ms.
soundfont support for midi
mic+boost is extraordinaly noiseless compared with ordinary soundblasters...
cheap (~60€)

>drawbacks
not a professional soundcard...

>suitable for...
home guitar,bass,vocals recordings.

>special related software
>>soundfonts
get a soundfont:
from the your Soundblaster installation disk:
/mnt/cdrom/AUDIO/COMMON/SFBANK
For GM soundfonts you can look at http://www.personalcopy.com or
http://www.hammersound.net

load it:
Install awesfx and awesfx-devel
/bin/sfxload [space] /path to soundfont/8MBGMSFX.SF2

sfArk unpacker: (non free software, be careful!)
http://melodymachine.com/sfark.htm
It won't be included in A/DeMuDi because it is not a free software

>JACK configurations:

/usr/bin/jackstart -R -p60 -t10000 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p256 -n2 -S
-i1 -o2
Comments:
latency: 11ms
agnula's kernel-multimedia at debian sarge, works well with PIV2.6Ghz, 512MB
(Submitted by MarC)

>hardware configurations:

(conf 1) Voice Mic->Red Box Pro->Mic Input(+boost)
Comment: non professional, a little bit of noise, but works fine for
home records. I know I should get a mixer.
(Submitted by MarC)

(conf 2) Guitar->Zoom GFX-8 (Guitar effects processor)->Red Box Pro->Mic
Comment: non professional, a little bit of noise, but works fine for
home records. I know I should get a mixer.
(Submitted by MarC)

>examples of songs recorded with it (or some parts of them):

(with conf 2) http://www.caroline.es.vg/ (see "musica" and click on the
link, the songs have one guitar(ie: all guitars with distorsion)
recorded with an Audigy, even if that stuff is mixed and recorded with
Cubase and masterized with ProTools...Yeah Satan...)
(with conf 1) examples with Ardour will come...

>problems:
(please submit them to the LAU list before, to make sure it's not a
trivial configuration issue...)

When I record with ardour, after some time, jack starts producing a
strange noise that goes away after a while. I don't understand it. Maybe
I'm doing smth wrong but I can't get it...
(Submitted by MarC)

Opinions?? Anybody thinks he/she could do it better?